War crimes

In this photo taken from the outskirts of the village of Mert Ismail near the town of Suruc, southeastern Turkey, Turkish army vehicles return to Tirley from Syrian after conducting a joint patrol with Russian forces, Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. Turkey and Russia launched joint patrols for the second time in northeastern Syria, under a deal that halted a Turkish offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters who were forced to withdraw from the border area following Ankara's incursion. (AP Photo/Mehmet Guzel)
November 07, 2019 - 10:20 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior American diplomat has written a highly critical assessment of the Trump administration's abrupt withdrawal of troops from northeast Syria last month, a decision that paved the way for an attack on U.S.-allied forces in the area, officials said Thursday. In an internal...
Read More
In this photo taken from the outskirts of the village of Mert Ismail near the town of Suruc, southeastern Turkey, Turkish army vehicles return to Tirley from Syrian after conducting a joint patrol with Russian forces, Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. Turkey and Russia launched joint patrols for the second time in northeastern Syria, under a deal that halted a Turkish offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters who were forced to withdraw from the border area following Ankara's incursion. (AP Photo/Mehmet Guzel)
November 07, 2019 - 5:04 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior American diplomat has written a highly critical assessment of the Trump administration's abrupt withdrawal of troops from northeast Syria last month, a decision that paved the way for an attack on U.S.-allied forces in the area, officials said Thursday. In an internal...
Read More
In this photo taken from the outskirts of the village of Mert Ismail near the town of Suruc, southeastern Turkey, Turkish army vehicles return to Tirley from Syrian after conducting a joint patrol with Russian forces, Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. Turkey and Russia launched joint patrols for the second time in northeastern Syria, under a deal that halted a Turkish offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters who were forced to withdraw from the border area following Ankara's incursion. (AP Photo/Mehmet Guzel)
November 07, 2019 - 4:56 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior American diplomat has written a highly critical assessment of the Trump administration's abrupt withdrawal of troops from northeast Syria last month, a decision that paved the way for an attack on U.S.-allied forces in the area, officials said Thursday. In an internal...
Read More
Congolese militia commander Bosco Ntaganda enters the courtroom of the International Criminal Court, or ICC, to hear the sentence in his trial in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. The ICC delivered the sentence on Ntaganda, accused of overseeing the slaughter of civilians by his soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2002 and 2003. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, Pool)
November 07, 2019 - 10:57 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court passed its highest ever sentence Thursday, sending a Congolese warlord known as "The Terminator" to prison for 30 years for crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery. Bosco Ntaganda was found guilty in July of 18 counts of war...
Read More
Congolese militia commander Bosco Ntaganda enters the courtroom of the International Criminal Court, or ICC, to hear the sentence in his trial in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. The ICC delivered the sentence on Ntaganda, accused of overseeing the slaughter of civilians by his soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2002 and 2003. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, Pool)
November 07, 2019 - 6:09 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court passed its highest ever sentence Thursday, sending a Congolese warlord known as "The Terminator" to prison for 30 years for crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery. Bosco Ntaganda was found guilty in July of 18 counts of war...
Read More
Congolese militia commander Bosco Ntaganda enters the courtroom of the International Criminal Court, or ICC, to hear the sentence in his trial in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. The ICC delivered the sentence on Ntaganda, accused of overseeing the slaughter of civilians by his soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2002 and 2003. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, Pool)
November 07, 2019 - 5:32 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court sentenced a Congolese warlord known as "The Terminator" to 30 years imprisonment Thursday after he was convicted of crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery. The sentence was the highest ever passed by the global court. Bosco...
Read More
Congolese militia commander Bosco Ntaganda enters the courtroom of the International Criminal Court, or ICC, to hear the sentence in his trial in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. The ICC delivered the sentence on Ntaganda, accused of overseeing the slaughter of civilians by his soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2002 and 2003. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, Pool)
November 07, 2019 - 5:13 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court sentenced a Congolese warlord known as "The Terminator" to 30 years imprisonment Thursday after he was convicted of crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery. The sentence was the highest ever passed by the global court. Bosco...
Read More
View of the International Criminal Court, or ICC, where Congolese militia commander Bosco Ntaganda is scheduled to hear the sentence in his trial in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. The ICC is delivering the sentence on Ntaganda, accused of overseeing the slaughter of civilians by his soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2002 and 2003. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)
November 07, 2019 - 5:06 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court has sentenced a Congolese warlord known as "The Terminator" to 30 years imprisonment after he was convicted of crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery. Bosco Ntaganda was sentenced Thursday after being found guilty in July of...
Read More
November 06, 2019 - 12:37 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — A top European human rights official has sharply criticized Serbia's defense ministry for promoting a book that attempts to deny that Bosnian Serb forces carried out a wartime attack that killed 71 people in the Bosnian town of Tuzla in 1995. Council of Europe Commissioner...
Read More
Bosnian women whose male family members, including sons and husbands, perished in the Srebrenica massacre hold placards as they protest outside Swedish embassy in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. Several dozen survivors of Bosnia's 1992-95 war staged a protest in Sarajevo to call on the Nobel Committee to reverse its decision to award the 2019 Nobel Prize in literature to Austria's Peter Handke. Placards read: 'to award Handke is equal awarding committed crime' and 'award for Hadke is award for Slobodan Milosevic'. Despite a U.N. court ruling to the contrary, Handke has persistently denied that genocide took place in Srebrenica. (Almir Razic/Fena Agency via AP)
November 05, 2019 - 9:52 am
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — Bosnian war survivors, including mothers who lost husbands and sons in the Srebrenica massacre, protested Tuesday in Sarajevo, urging the Nobel Committee to reverse its decision to award the 2019 Nobel Prize in literature to Austrian writer Peter Handke...
Read More

Pages