Troop withdrawals

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, discusses his decision to withdraw several hundred National Guard troops from the nation's southern border and changing their mission, during a Capitol news conference Monday, Feb. 11, 2019, in Sacramento, Calif. Newsom, flanked by Major General David Baldwin, the Adjutant General of the California Military Department, left, and California Highway Patrol Commissioner Warren Stanley, right, said he will order the troops to leave by the end of March but will leave 100 troops to focus on drug trafficking. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)
February 11, 2019 - 6:42 pm
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Monday he's withdrawing most of the state's National Guard troops on the Mexico border because he won't participate in the Trump administration's "absurd theatrics" on border security. Still, he acknowledged some troops were doing good...
Read More
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)
February 10, 2019 - 11:03 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday that increases Seoul's contribution for the cost of the American military presence on its soil, overcoming previous failed negotiations that caused worries about their decades-long alliance. The development comes...
Read More
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)
February 10, 2019 - 9:42 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday that increases Seoul's contribution for the cost of the American military presence on its soil, overcoming previous failed negotiations that caused worries about their decades-long alliance. The development comes...
Read More
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)
February 10, 2019 - 7:29 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday that increases Seoul's contribution for the cost of the American military presence on its soil, overcoming previous failed negotiations that caused worries about their decades-long alliance. South Korea last year...
Read More
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)
February 10, 2019 - 4:43 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday that increases Seoul's contribution for the cost of the American military presence on its soil, overcoming previous failed negotiations that caused worries about their decades-long alliance. South Korea last year...
Read More
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)
February 10, 2019 - 2:59 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday increasing the share of Seoul's contribution for the cost of the U.S. military presence on its soil, official said, after previous rounds of failed negotiations caused worries about their decades-long alliance...
Read More
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)
February 10, 2019 - 1:58 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday on how much Seoul should pay for the U.S. military presence on its soil, official said, after previous rounds of failed negotiations caused worries about their decades-long alliance. Last year, South Korea provided...
Read More
Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad speaks on the prospects for peace, Friday, Feb. 8, 2019, at the U.S. Institute of Peace, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
February 08, 2019 - 4:39 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tempering expectations, the Trump administration's peace envoy for Afghanistan said Friday that although his talks with the Taliban have produced a tentative "framework" agreement, negotiations are far from finished. The envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, said he hopes a final deal is...
Read More
Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad speaks on the prospects for peace, Friday, Feb. 8, 2019, at the U.S. Institute of Peace, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
February 08, 2019 - 4:02 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tempering expectations, the Trump administration's peace envoy for Afghanistan said Friday that although his talks with the Taliban have produced a tentative "framework" agreement, negotiations are far from finished. The envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, said he hopes a final deal is...
Read More
FILE - In this Nov. 20, 2013 file photo, reviewed by the U.S. military, the entrance to Camp VI detention facility is guarded at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba. The Guantanamo Bay detention center would receive its first new prisoners in more than a decade under one option being considered as the U.S. withdraws its forces from Syria and works to resolve the fate of hundreds of captured suspected Islamic State fighters, officials say.(AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, File)
February 07, 2019 - 6:45 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Guantanamo Bay detention center would receive new prisoners for the first time in more than a decade under one option being considered as the U.S. withdraws its forces from Syria and works to resolve the fate of hundreds of captured suspected Islamic State fighters, officials...
Read More

Pages