Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

Two residents select items on a community table, filled with groceries for those in need, in Derry, N.H., Wednesday, March 18, 2020. The table was started as part of a local Facebook group, reaching out to residents that are impacted by the virus outbreak and the quick slowdown in the economy. For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms. For some, it can cause more severe illness, especially in older adults and people with existing health problems. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)
March 18, 2020 - 6:47 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Agriculture Department said Wednesday that it would appeal a judge’s ruling that it would be “arbitrary and capricious” to move forward during a global health crisis with food stamp changes that could force hundreds of thousands from the program. Federal Judge Beryl Howell, in...
Read More
In this Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020, photo, Richard Butler and his fiance Amber laugh while they have breakfast in an apartment a friend is letting them live in on Chicago's Southside. Having food stamps offers Butler a stability he's rarely known in his 25 years. But that stability is being threatened for people like him, who are able-bodied, without dependents and between the ages 18 and 49. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)
March 04, 2020 - 12:03 am
CHICAGO (AP) — Having food stamps offers Richard Butler a stability he’s rarely known in his 25 years. He was in state custody at age 2, spent his teen years at a Chicago boys’ home and jail for burglary, and has since struggled to find a permanent home. The $194 deposited monthly on his benefits...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 31, 2019, file photo, hundreds of people overflow onto the sidewalk in a line snaking around the block outside a U.S. immigration office with numerous courtrooms in San Francisco. As the new public charge rule taking effect Monday, Feb. 24, 2020, has approached, droves of immigrants including citizens and legal residents have dropped government social services they or their children may be entitled to out of fear they will be kicked out of the U.S. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg, File)
February 24, 2020 - 10:21 pm
PHOENIX (AP) — Pastor Antonio Velasquez says that before the Trump administration announced a crackdown on immigrants using government social services, people lined up before sunrise outside a state office in a largely Latino Phoenix neighborhood to sign up for food stamps and Medicaid. No more. “...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 31, 2019, file photo, hundreds of people overflow onto the sidewalk in a line snaking around the block outside a U.S. immigration office with numerous courtrooms in San Francisco. As the new public charge rule taking effect Monday, Feb. 24, 2020, has approached, droves of immigrants including citizens and legal residents have dropped government social services they or their children may be entitled to out of fear they will be kicked out of the U.S. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg, File)
February 24, 2020 - 4:29 pm
PHOENIX (AP) — Pastor Antonio Velasquez says that before the Trump administration announced a crackdown on immigrants using government social services, people lined up before sunrise outside a state office in a largely Latino Phoenix neighborhood to sign up for food stamps and Medicaid. No more. “...
Read More
President Donald Trump's budget request for fiscal year 2021 arrives at the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
February 10, 2020 - 5:22 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump unveiled a $4.8 trillion election year budget plan on Monday that recycles deep, previously rejected cuts to domestic programs like food stamps, Medicaid, and housing as the recipe for wrestling the federal budget back into balance. Trump’s fiscal 2021 plan...
Read More
President Donald Trump's budget request for fiscal year 2021 arrives at the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
February 10, 2020 - 12:57 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump unveiled a $4.8 trillion election year budget plan on Monday that recycles previously rejected cuts to domestic programs like food stamps and Medicaid to promise a balanced budget in 15 years — all while leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits...
Read More
President Donald Trump's budget request for fiscal year 2021 arrives at the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
February 10, 2020 - 12:24 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is offering a $4.8 trillion election year budget plan that recycles previously rejected cuts to domestic programs like food stamps and Medicaid to promise a balanced budget in 15 years — all while leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched...
Read More
President Donald Trump's budget request for fiscal year 2021 arrives at the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
February 10, 2020 - 8:42 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is offering a $4.8 trillion election-year budget plan that recycles previously rejected cuts to domestic programs to promise a balanced budget in 15 years — all while boosting the military and leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. Trump’s...
Read More
In this Feb. 6, 2020 photo, dusk settles over the White House in Washington. Confronted with trillion-dollar-plus deficits, President Donald Trump is offering a budget plan on Monday that’s offering a rehash of previously rejected spending cuts, while keeping a promise to leave Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
February 10, 2020 - 7:31 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is offering a $4.8 trillion election-year budget plan that recycles previously rejected cuts to domestic programs to promise a balanced budget in 15 years — all while boosting the military and leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. Trump’s...
Read More
In this Feb. 6, 2020 photo, dusk settles over the White House in Washington. Confronted with trillion-dollar-plus deficits, President Donald Trump is offering a budget plan on Monday that’s offering a rehash of previously rejected spending cuts, while keeping a promise to leave Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
February 10, 2020 - 12:55 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is offering a $4.8 trillion election-year budget plan that recycles previously rejected cuts to domestic programs to promise a balanced budget in 15 years — all while boosting the military and leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. Trump’s...
Read More

Pages