Massacres

FILE - In this April 30, 2019 file photo, John T. Earnest appears for his arraignment hearing in San Diego. Prosecutors say Earnest opened fire during a Passover service at the Chabad of Poway synagogue on April 27, killing one woman and injuring three people, including the rabbi. A preliminary hearing for Earnest begins Thursday, Sept. 18, 2019, in state court and is expected to last up to two days. (Nelvin C. Cepeda/The San Diego Union-Tribune via AP, Pool, File)
September 19, 2019 - 12:15 am
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Prosecutors will have a recording of a 20-year-old's call to an emergency dispatcher and his online posts when they try to convince a judge that he should be put on trial for opening fire in a synagogue on the last day of Passover, killing one woman and injuring three people,...
Read More
FILE - This undated Pennsylvania Department of Transportation photo shows Robert Bowers. Bowers is charged with killing 11 worshippers at a Pittsburgh synagogue. The U.S. attorney's office in Pittsburgh filed a notice of intent Monday, Aug. 26, 2019 to seek the death penalty against Bowers in last year's attack. (Pennsylvania Department of Transportation via AP, File)
August 26, 2019 - 5:05 pm
A man charged with killing 11 people in a Pittsburgh synagogue should face the death penalty if convicted, federal prosecutors said in a court filing Monday. The U.S. attorney's office in Pittsburgh filed a notice of intent to seek the death penalty against 46-year-old Robert Bowers in last year's...
Read More
FILE - This undated Pennsylvania Department of Transportation photo shows Robert Bowers. Bowers is charged with killing 11 worshippers at a Pittsburgh synagogue. The U.S. attorney's office in Pittsburgh filed a notice of intent Monday, Aug. 26, 2019 to seek the death penalty against Bowers in last year's attack. (Pennsylvania Department of Transportation via AP, File)
August 26, 2019 - 4:44 pm
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Federal prosecutors want a man accused of killing 11 people in a Pittsburgh synagogue to face a death sentence. The U.S. attorney's office in Pittsburgh filed a notice of intent Monday to seek the death penalty against 46-year-old Robert Bowers in last year's attack. The...
Read More
August 26, 2019 - 4:34 pm
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Federal prosecutors want a man accused of killing 11 people in a Pittsburgh synagogue to face a death sentence. The U.S. attorney's office in Pittsburgh filed a notice of intent Monday to seek the death penalty against 46-year-old Robert Bowers in last year's attack . The...
Read More
August 08, 2019 - 1:19 pm
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican police found nine bodies hanging from an overpass Thursday alongside a drug cartel banner threatening rivals, and seven more corpses hacked up and dumped by the road nearby. Just down the road were three more bodies, for a total of 19. The killing spree reported by...
Read More
U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Texas John Bash said they would seek the death penalty in the mass shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas during a press conference Sunday, Aug. 4, 2019 at the Office of Emergency Management. Patrick Crusius was booked on charges of capital murder. El Paso Mayor Dee Margo is at left. (Mark Lambie/The El Paso Times via AP)
August 04, 2019 - 6:33 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal authorities investigating the El Paso shooting call it an act of domestic terrorism, but they cannot apply the same terrorism law that prosecutors have used for years against supporters of the Islamic State and al-Qaida. The federal government defines domestic terrorism...
Read More
Relatives and friends of the victims, with religious leaders among the some thousands of mourners gathered at a soccer stadium in Kozarac near the town of Prijedor, behind the coffins draped with green cloth for the funeral of 86 Muslims, Saturday July 20, 2019. The victims were slain by Serbs in one of the worst atrocities of the country's 1992-95 war, aged 19 to 61, and were among some 200 Bosnian Muslims and Croats from Prijedor who were executed in Aug. 1992 on a cliff on Mt. Vlasic known as Koricanske Stijene. (AP Photo/Almir Alic)
July 20, 2019 - 1:10 pm
PRIJEDOR, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — Several thousand people attended a funeral service in Bosnia on Saturday for 86 Muslims who were slain by Serbs in one of the worst atrocities of the country's 1992-95 war. Relatives of the victims, religious leaders and others gathered at a soccer stadium near...
Read More
FILE - In this July 13, 1995 file photo, Dutch U.N. peacekeepers sit on top of an armored personnel carrier while Muslim refugees from Srebrenica, eastern Bosnia, gather in the village of Potocari, just north of Srebrenica. The Dutch Supreme Court is ruling Friday July 19, 2019 in a long-running legal battle over whether the Netherlands can be held liable in the deaths of more than 300 Muslim men who were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre. (AP Photo/File)
July 19, 2019 - 10:09 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Latest on a Dutch Supreme Court ruling on the 1995 Srebrenica massacre (all times local): 4 p.m. Relatives of the victims of the Srebrenica massacre have blasted the Dutch Supreme Court verdict that the Netherlands was partially liable in the deaths of some of the...
Read More
FILE - In this Sept. 18, 1996 file photo, International War Crimes Tribunal investigators clear away soil and debris from dozens of Srebrenica victims buried in a mass grave near the village of Pilica, some 55 kms (32 miles) north east of Tuzla, Boisnia-Herzegovina. The Dutch Supreme Court is ruling Friday July 19, 2019 in a long-running legal battle over whether the Netherlands can be held liable in the deaths of more than 300 Muslim men who were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.. (AP Photo/Staton R. Winter, File)
July 19, 2019 - 6:06 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch Supreme Court upheld Friday a lower court's ruling that the Netherlands is partially liable in the deaths of some 350 Muslim men who were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre. The Netherlands' highest court ruled that Dutch...
Read More
FILE - In this Sept. 18, 1996 file photo, International War Crimes Tribunal investigators clear away soil and debris from dozens of Srebrenica victims buried in a mass grave near the village of Pilica, some 55 kms (32 miles) north east of Tuzla, Boisnia-Herzegovina. The Dutch Supreme Court is ruling Friday July 19, 2019 in a long-running legal battle over whether the Netherlands can be held liable in the deaths of more than 300 Muslim men who were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.. (AP Photo/Staton R. Winter, File)
July 19, 2019 - 4:59 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch Supreme Court has upheld a lower court's ruling that the Netherlands is partially liable in the deaths of some 350 Muslim men who were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre. The Netherlands' highest court said Friday that Dutch...
Read More

Pages