Major League Baseball

March 20, 2018 - 11:06 am
DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) — J.A. Happ has been picked to start opening day for the Toronto Blue Jays. Manager John Gibbons said Tuesday that the 35-year-old left-hander will face the New York Yankees and right-hander Luis Severino on March 29. Happ went 10-11 with a 3.53 ERA in 25 starts last season. He...
Read More
FILE - In this Feb. 24, 2017, file photo, New York Yankees special advisor Alex Rodriguez speaks with CC Sabathia, who reflected in his sunglasses, ahead of a spring training baseball game against the Philadelphia Phillies in Tampa, Fla. Rodriguez thinks the Yankees’ “breathtaking” offense could break records this season. He arrived at spring training Monday, March 19, 2018 and had high praise for a lineup led by Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez and Didi Gregorius. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)
March 19, 2018 - 10:59 pm
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Alex Rodriguez thinks the New York Yankees' "breathtaking" offense could break records this season. Rodriguez arrived at spring training Monday and had high praise for a lineup led by Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez and Didi Gregorius. A-Rod is a team special adviser...
Read More
March 19, 2018 - 10:40 pm
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Alex Rodriguez thinks the New York Yankees' "breathtaking" offense could break records this season. Rodriguez arrived at spring training Monday and had high praise for a lineup led by Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez and Didi Gregorius. A-Rod is a team special adviser...
Read More
FILE - This Aug. 3, 2012, aerial file photo shows the Olympic Stadium at Olympic Park, in London. A person familiar with the plans tells The Associated Press that Major League Baseball is working to finalize a two-game series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at London’s Olympic Stadium on June 29-30 in 2019, the sport’s first regular-season games in Europe. The Red Sox have the option of having both games be Red Sox home games, the person familiar with the planning said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Monday, March 19, 2018 because no announcement had been made. (AP Photo/Jeff J Mitchell, File)
March 19, 2018 - 10:07 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball is working to finalize a two-game series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at London's Olympic Stadium on June 29-30 in 2019, the sport's first regular-season games in Europe. The Red Sox have the option of having both games be Boston home games,...
Read More
FILE - This Aug. 3, 2012, aerial file photo shows the Olympic Stadium at Olympic Park, in London. A person familiar with the plans tells The Associated Press that Major League Baseball is working to finalize a two-game series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at London’s Olympic Stadium on June 29-30 in 2019, the sport’s first regular-season games in Europe. The Red Sox have the option of having both games be Red Sox home games, the person familiar with the planning said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Monday, March 19, 2018 because no announcement had been made. (AP Photo/Jeff J Mitchell, File)
March 19, 2018 - 8:52 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball is working to finalize a two-game series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at London's Olympic Stadium on June 29-30 in 2019, the sport's first regular-season games in Europe. The Red Sox have the option of having both games be Boston home games,...
Read More
March 19, 2018 - 6:37 pm
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Yankees outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury is expected to start the regular season on the disabled list because of an oblique injury that has kept him out of exhibition games since March 1. Ellsbury had been scheduled to play Tuesday against Detroit, but his return was pushed back...
Read More
File-This is a 2018 photo shows Jose Altuve of the Houston Astros baseball team. A person familiar with the negotiations says AL MVP Altuve and the World Series champion Astros have agreed to a contract that guarantees him an additional $151 million over five seasons from 2020-24. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday, March 16, 2018, because the agreement had not been announced. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)
March 19, 2018 - 4:20 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Jose Altuve sat behind a table set up on the field at the Houston Astros' spring training complex, and his teammates looked on as the World Series champions announced his $163.5 million, seven-year contract, the longest in team history. "You made me more nervous,...
Read More
File-This is a 2018 photo shows Jose Altuve of the Houston Astros baseball team. A person familiar with the negotiations says AL MVP Altuve and the World Series champion Astros have agreed to a contract that guarantees him an additional $151 million over five seasons from 2020-24. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday, March 16, 2018, because the agreement had not been announced. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)
March 19, 2018 - 4:15 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — AL MVP Jose Altuve and the World Series champion Houston Astros have finalized a $163.5 million, seven-year contract that guarantees an additional $151 million over five seasons. The 27--year-old second baseman had been among baseball's best bargains. He agreed in 2013...
Read More
Minnesota Twins' Jorge Polanco, left, goes into third base ahead of the throw to Boston Red Sox's Brock Holt after hitting a triple off Red Sox pitcher Chris Sale during the fourth inning of a spring training baseball game Wednesday, March 14, 2018, in Fort Myers, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)
March 18, 2018 - 5:26 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Minnesota Twins shortstop Jorge Polanco has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. The commissioner's office announced the penalty Sunday. Polanco tested positive for Stanozolol and became the sixth player to be banned this year under...
Read More
FILE- In this Oct. 1, 2017, file photo, Kansas City Royals starting pitcher Jason Vargas throws during the first inning of a baseball game against the Arizona Diamondbacks in Kansas City, Mo. Vargas is expected to miss four to six weeks after fracturing a bone in his right hand. The 35-year-old Vargas was hit on the hand by a line drive during a minor league game Friday, March 16, 2018. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File)
March 18, 2018 - 4:36 pm
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) — New York Mets left-hander Jason Vargas is expected to miss four to six weeks after fracturing a bone in his right hand. The Mets acquired Vargas in free agency on Feb. 18, signing him to a two-year, $16 million contract. He went 18-11 with a 4.16 ERA for Kansas City last...
Read More

Pages