New Accuser Comes Forward , As Malone Apologizes For Priest Sex Abuse Cases

Wayne Bortle Says Apology Doesn't Matter

Dave Debo
March 23, 2018 - 1:27 pm

WBEN Photo/Dave Debo

Categories: 

(WBEN) Another man who accuses a Diocese of Buffalo priest of sexually abusing him as a child, stood in front of the Buffalo Catholic Diocese headquarters Friday, and rejected the idea of having Bishop Richard Malone's apology, just after Malone released one to all victims, via an online video.

Wayne Bortle had previously not revealed his accusations, against Father Robert Conlin until Friday, and did not seem particularly impressed with Malone's apology saying "I don't know how an apology would impact me. I mean, the sentiment is nice, but there is more, obviously that needs to be done.," Bortles ( pictured above center, with victims advocate Robert Hoatson R, and his wife L)

Bortle says that Fr. Robert P. Conlin, then pastor at St. Mary’s Parish in Pavilion, Genesee County abused him in a basement rectory recreation room where youth gatherings were sometimes held, in 1980 when Bortle was approximately 16 years old.

"He touched me all over, and he wouldn't stop," Bortle said.

With two sisters at his side, Bortle fought back tears and his sister Amy Jo Griffith of Clarence openly cried  as she called on the diocese to do more.

Bortle says that the small town of Pavilion likely has more victims; Griffith hoped that the community would see that Conlin in a different light, realizing " that this man does not walk on water."

Bortle also said a large picture of Conlin which is displayed on a parish social hall that bears Conlin's name should be removed.

HEAR HIS COMMENTS: Listen to the Bortle News Conference HERE:

Bortle had not previously come forward and is not part of the diocese's independent compensation plan, but is represented by Boston-area attorney Mitchell Garabedian, who has filed many civil damage claims on behalf of victims.

Conlin's name was not on a recent list of 42 accused priests released by the diocese. The list was specific to priests who " were removed from ministry, were retired or left ministry after allegations of sexual abuse of a minor," the diocese said, adding that the list also included deceased priests with more than one allegation against them.

Comments ()