FILE - In this Wednesday, April 4, 2018 file photo, Dionne Smith-Downs, left, joins others in a march calling for the indictment of two Sacramento police officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark in Sacramento, Calif. Prosecutors are expected to announce Saturday whether two police officers will face charges in last year's fatal shooting in Sacramento of an unarmed black man that generated nationwide protests. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)

The Latest: Stephon Clark's mom said decision 'is not right'

March 02, 2019 - 5:11 pm

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the decision by a prosecutor not to charge the police officers who shot an unarmed black man last year (all times local):

2:10 p.m.

The mother of Stephon Clark said she refuses to accept prosecutors' decision not to file criminal charges against the two Sacramento police officers who fatally shot an unarmed black man last year.

Sequette (suh-KWET) Clark said Saturday that the officers should have been charged with homicide.

They shot her 22-year-old son on March 18, 2018 after he ran from them into his grandparents' backyard.

She says: "They executed my son. It's not right."

Her comments came shortly after Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced the officers did lawfully used lethal force. The officers said they thought Clark, a vandalism suspect, had a gun and was advancing at them.

Investigators found only a cellphone.

___

1:10 p.m.

Two Sacramento police officers will not face criminal charges in last year's fatal shooting of an unarmed black man that brought nationwide protests.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced Saturday that officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet did not break any laws when they shot Stephon Clark after the 22-year-old ran from them into his grandparents' backyard.

The officers say they thought Clark, a vandalism suspect, had a gun but investigators found only a cellphone.

Sacramento has been bracing for protests ahead of the decision, with business owners warned by a business association and state government workers told by legislative officials in recent days to stay away from downtown at least through the weekend.

___

11 a.m.

Prosecutors are expected to announce Saturday whether two police officers will face charges in last year's fatal shooting in Sacramento of an unarmed black man that generated nationwide protests.

Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert will hold a news conference to announce whether the officers broke any laws when they shot Stephon Clark after the 22-year-old ran from them into his grandparents' backyard.

Officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet have said they thought Clark, a vandalism suspect, had a gun but investigators found only a cellphone.

The city has been bracing for protests ahead of the decision, with business owners warned by a business association and state government workers told by legislative officials in recent days to stay away from downtown at least through the weekend.

Protests after the shooting were largely peaceful but disrupted downtown professional basketball games and freeway traffic.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()