Bishop Richard Malone, attorney Terry Connors announcing victims compensation fund/WBEN photo

$400,000 settlement offer for priest abuse victim

Multiple other offers confirmed this week

December 05, 2018 - 8:25 pm
Categories: 

Buffalo, N.Y. (WBEN) - Yet another settlement offer for a victim of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Buffalo has been revealed and it is the largest offer known to date.  Attorney Barry Covert tells WBEN Stephanie McIntyre has been offered $400,000 by the diocese for claims made against Father Fabian Maryanski.

"No amount of money can compensate Stephanie for the horrible abuse that she suffered over 3 decades ago and the continuing revi timization she suffered through the churches decades of failing to acknowledge the abuse victims and failure to  take the necessary remedial actions", Covert told WBEN.  Covert tells us his client repeatedly stated that she is perplexed as to how she can be given the largest reported award but  Father Maryanski is still not on the list of abusive priests

Word of this latest settlement comes the week we learned of multiple other smaller offers made to abuse victims.

Attorney Mithell Garabedian told WBEN earlier this week he had received eight settlement offers in relation to the Diocese of Buffalo. The settlement offers range from $10,000 up to and including $340,000.

Some of the eight clergy sexual abuse victims want to accept their offers and others feel re-victimized by the offers. All eight clergy sexual abuse victims feel as though the Catholic Church still does not care and will never care about the pain caused by clergy sexual abuse.

WBEN legal analyst Paul Cambria told WBEN this week the offers are an attempt at damage control on the part of the diocese.

 

Comments ()